24 Dec Senior Scientist – R&D
ABOUT TREEFROG THERAPEUTICS
Global cell therapy is emerging as the most dynamic field in medicine witnessing extraordinary growth in clinical trials and market dynamics. Advocating for “Cell therapy for all”, Treefrog is aiming to make cell therapies more affordable for all patients by developing a game changer production technology while current industrial processes fail to scale up to meet the clinical needs.
Founded in 2018 in Bordeaux, Treefrog Therapeutics is based on the synergy of competences of biophysics and stem cell biology. C-Stem™, the proprietary technology of Treefrog, is a high-throughput cell encapsulation technology allowing the mass-production and differentiation of stem cells in industrial bioreactors. By 2024, Treefrog’s mission is to complete the industrialization of C-Stem™ to launch a first-in-man trial using safe and affordable therapeutic mass-produced cells.
Since its incorporation, Treefrog Therapeutics has been experiencing strong acceleration. The company raised over 10 million euros in 2019, and entered the FrenchTech120 in January 2020. The team – currently 33 persons – has moved into a brand new production facility of 1000m2 in Pessac in April 2020. TreeFrog was awarded the Galien MedStartup Prize in Boston in October 2020 for its collaboration with Harvard.
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Within the Research Team, you will be leading or contributing to several types of research projects towards Therapeutical Products development.
As such, you will be involved in late phase internal R&D projects and early phase external collaborations, which implies that you handle:
- Experimental design, short and long-term project planning, experimental execution, interpretation of results, and reporting
- Maintenance of state-of-the art knowledge of relevant stem cell therapy approaches and techniques
- Supervision of technical staff and Junior employees to achieve the team’s research goals
You will share your time between bench work (cell encapsulations, 3D stem cell culture and differentiation, and project specific cellular analysis) and project management.
MINIMUM PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
PhD in cell or molecular biology, bioengineering, regenerative medicine, or related engineering or life science field with additional 2+ years of post-PhD experience (academic research and/or industry).
Knowledge, experience and know-how
The following skills are a pre-requisite:
- Mammalian tissue culture skills, preferably experience with human stem cell (ESC or iPSC)
- Experience or expertise in several of the following in vitro assays: flow cytometry and cell sorting, molecular biology, immunofluorescent microscopy, gene editing techniques (including viral and non-viral delivery methods), proteome analysis, (sc) RTqPCR, ELISA, LC-MS.
- Organized and detailed documentation of experimental work, including generation of new process quality documentation as needed
Additional skills would be a strong advantage:
- Human stem cell (ESC or iPSC) cell culture and differentiation into therapeutics cell lineages related to: neurology, cardiac, liver, ocular, immune system, diabetes,… and characterization of the derived cells.
- 3D tissue culture such as: organoids, tissue engineering, or primary tissue samples
Moreover, will be considered as assets:
- Experience on in vivo disease models (rodents, non-human primates, etc); particularly concerning the xenotransplantation of cell products and downstream analysis of safety and therapeutic efficacy
- Expertise on cryopreservation/vitrification of cell products
- Experience or expertise in cGMP practices, cell therapy initiatives, intellectual property, or regulatory processes
- Experience or expertise with microfluidics, biomaterials, biomechanics, high throughput screening assays, organ-on-a-chip méthods.
- Experience on bioinformatic analysis of DNAseq and (sc)RNAseq datasets
- Interest and ability to work on a diverse set of stemcell therapy-based research topics depending on the companies evolving needs, including interest to learn new techniques
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and ability to communicate technical information to technicians and scientists with a wide variety of backgrounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT & CONDITIONS
Location: 30 avenue Gustave Eiffel, 33600 PESSAC, France
Legal status and salary package will be adjusted to the profile.
Treefrog is a recent biotechnology startup – with strong values (#Do, #Trust, #Be bold, #Commit, #Enjoy) and great challenges ahead. We truly appreciate autonomous & problem-solving mindsets, scientific curiosity and ability to get out of one’s skill comfort zone, quick learning abilities in a fast-paced research environment.
Thank you for applying at: HR@treefrog.fr, with the reference: 2021 – Senior Scientist – 01